My Interview with Style Scoop
The Fearless Fashionista’s Stylish Twins
By Jasna Zellerhoff
This week, I carry on with my stylish twin bloggers and would like to introduce you to Melanie, Melanie (other wise known as Mel) is quite different from her sister Becs, yet she has the same amazing sense of style!
Mel is a style chameleon and can pull off any look or trend by making it her own. Just like Becs her blog (Wrecked Stellar) is very inspiring and she shows how to wear clothes in a really different and unique way.
1. Who or what inspired both of you to start your own blogs?
I had only seen a few personal style blogs before I realized that I could and should introduce my own style to this little place we call the World Wide Web. My childhood affinity for playing dress up still remains and has translated to presently and constantly visualizing looks- complete with hair and makeup. But beyond my blog’s origin as a personal photo album, I wanted the rumbling thoughts in my head to make its way onto something and out into somewhere. Wrecked Stellar- two words that I like that happened upon each other in my head while I was driving to work- is an open notebook that happens to be accessible to all.
2. How would you describe your style?
I can only describe my style as unpredictable- along with the styles that I favor: trendy, inappropriate, preppy, romantic, bohemian, sporty, grungy, random, and most importantly, stellarly unapologetic. I can be dressed any number of ways on any given day. It’s that precise freedom that makes fashion so attractive and captivating. Beyond the clothes, what’s most important to me is that I’m still the same Melanie- ever-changing in my looks- but still the same individual at my core.
3. Who inspires you fashion wise?
Celebrity-wise, Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen never cease to amaze me with their definitive fashion choices and provide immense inspiration to me. They really own their points of view and that’s of the utmost importance within our world of imitations. Designer-wise, Alexander Wang brings the wise to fashion. He has this fresh perspective that is magnetic, drawing people in while dispersing his taste to the masses- and we are eating it up!
4. What are your 5 favorite fashion items and why?
1. Bodysuits – I own 15 bodysuits and I love them! With their body-hugging fits, they are easy to throw on with any bottoms for an instant put together look. Most people I know don’t wear bodysuits because they associate them with the 80s. I like them that much more because they are rarely worn in my circle.
2. Bralets – I love to wear innerwear as outerwear. Bralets are sexy, playful, and automatically wink for you without having to use your eye muscles. I wear them under oversized blazers, men’s flannel shirts, and unbuttoned rompers- which are appropriate platforms for a piece that could be perceived as indecent.
3. Babydoll Lingerie – I’ve been waiting for the weather to warm up to wear one of my five new babydolls. Going with my use of innerwear as outwerwear, I’m looking forward to layering bandeaus under revealing babydolls bottomed out with denim cutoffs for a balanced seductive/grungy look.
4. Hair scarves – My Louis Vuitton, Coach, and mom’s vintage scarves are in rotation when I need that extra pop of color/flair/whimsy. They make unruly hair calm and tame hair happier. As important as the shoes are in leaving a solid impression, so is the very top of you when you’re entering a sea of generic manes.
5. Faux fur jackets – I’m talking about the kind of piece that makes you feel as expensive as a real fur but also one that you’d be warm enough to withstand a snow storm in. I have a LaROK faux fur jacket that I deem synonymous with luxury. I throw it on over sweats during a trip to a fast food drive-thru and still feel classy. I get that same warm, fuzzy feeling every time. That’s the power of a power faux fur jacket.
P.S.- I wanted to remind you to RSVP to my SLUMBER PARTY and to submit your photos! The details are below-
Who: You- because you’ve made it to Wrecked Stellar- which means you’re pretty fabulous and exclusive already. I’m also free-loving!
When: Saturday, April 24th, at 8pm
Where: Virtually at my Los Angeles pad
Why: Because you don’t want to see me sitting with several bowls of popcorn watching 16 Candles by myself- (though I totally would do that anyway)!
Activities: Barbecuing on one balcony, pretending the other balcony is a stage and dancing to the likes of “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” and “Livin’ on a Prayer”, TP’ing fraternity houses at UCLA, soaking it up in a water balloon fight, playing “Never Have I”, swooning over Jake in 16 Candles wearing our mud masks, and falling asleep tucked away in our sleeping bags with the fun moments from the night tucked away in our memories.
Attire: Pajamas- whatever form they come in for you.
How: E-mail a photo of yourself to email@example.com in your attire in whatever environment and capacity you want. You’re my guest so it’s up to you! I will post all of my guests’ photos and blog links (if you have one) in my April 24th post so that everyone can share in our party fun!
RSVP: I set the date in April so that you’d have enough time to clear your calendar, think of a cute pajama outfit, and take your photo! Please RSVP in the Comments section by April 21st so I can buy enough food for everyone. I will be sending reminders out in future posts, but I’m sure you won’t need a reminder because you’ll all want to come! xoxo